Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Faith, Hope, Confidence, and God's Will

Right now I'm part of two Bible studies; one doing John Piper's Desiring God and one doing Beth Moore's Believing God.  That these two topics are similar is purely coincidence (or God-incidence), but they have already spoken to those of us in both studies in amazing ways.  Beth Moore is taking us through five statements we need to embrace in order to believe God: 1) God is who He says He is, 2) God can do what He says He can do, 3) I am who God says I am, 4) I can do all things through Christ, 5) God's word is alive and active in me.  Naturally, some of our first lessons have been on the subject of faith. 

Faith is something I struggle with, mostly in my prayer life.  I am always afraid that what I desire is not what God desires for me, and this fear paralyzes my ability to pray boldly, with confidence that God will answer my prayers.  Of course, in our study of Believing God, we have read parts of Hebrews 11 - the Hall of Faith chapter.  I've always loved Heb. 11:1; in fact, I have a bracelet that has the words of that verse engraved on it.  But this morning I read that verse again with new eyes and this is what it said: "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for."  Sure of what we hope for.  Not timid and nervous, hunched down before God, saying in a whisper, "God, I really want X good thing, but if that's not your will for me, then that's okay."  Heb. 4:16 says we should "approach the throne of grace with confidence" [emphasis mine].  And why do we approach the throne?  Because God "rewards those who earnestly seek Him" (Heb. 11:6).

This is some good stuff.  I can tell God has somewhere He wants to take me through this, but right now I sit at the intersection of faith, confidence, desire, and the will of God, and wonder how they all fit together practically speaking.  How do you ask for something you greatly desire, in faith believing God will answer your prayers, and yet know that His will may not be the answer you want?  How do you keep your heart open to God's will, recognizing that you don't always know what is best for you and believing that whatever God gives you is the the best possible thing, and yet still have desires you passionate long to have fulfilled?

I look forward to the next few months of Bible study to see how God will continue to teach me on this subject.  Revelations to follow...

2 comments:

  1. "God, I really want X good thing, but if that's not your will for me, then that's okay."

    I think so many women feel this way. It's hard not to when we want so much to follow God's path for us! Praying boldly is something I struggle with too. I'm so looking forward to the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, love your take on these studies. I am right there as well and excited about what God is going to do through all of this.

    ReplyDelete