Monday, February 28, 2011

Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

I read this in one of my devotionals today: "My focus was locked in on the dread of the outcome rather than on my Rescuer."  I had heard a similar idea recently - that the main cause of anxiety is eyes focused on ourselves or our circumstances rather than on the God who is bigger than all of that - and honestly, the thought blew my socks off.  I think about God often.  I go to Him for help to get me through difficult circumstances.  I enjoy worship.  But after hearing this idea - that anxiety comes when our focus is misplaced - I am able to see a hallmark in every one of my anxious situations: I am completely consumed with "fixing the problem."  The situation is the problem; I just need to make it go away. 

So what if I refocus my thoughts on God?  Won't the problem pale in comparison?  "And the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace."  There is nothing that is too big for my God, no detail of life He doesn't care about. 

But surrendering my problems to Him means giving up control.  Do I really trust Him to handle my problems in the way I see fit?  Ha ha - "the way I see fit."  I am not all-knowing!  What am I doing trying to manage my own problems?  And why do I think I can do a better job than God?  God promises us peace in exchange for our surrender: "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee" (Is. 26:3). 

Trust.  Eyes focused on Jesus.  Surrender.  And finally, perfect peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment