Friday, April 1, 2011

Quietness

I've been feeling kind of scattered lately, like I have so many things to keep track of in my mind that some of them fall out every once in a while.  (This is not the same as my feeling of anxiety.  I give glory to Jesus for two weeks of class so far and no anxiety.)  I like to think I'm a responsible, with-it girl, but the past few weeks I've felt like a complete airhead.  I was telling someone about my ditsy behavior yesterday and offering my own solution of slowing down, limiting my focus, and possibly taking some things off my plate to free up time for reflection.

Now there are several verses that talk about pursuing a quiet, humble life:
  • "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you" (1 Thess. 4:11).
  • "First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity" (1 Tim. 2:1-2).
And Peter's specific words to women:
  • "Your adornment must not be merely external--braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God" (1 Pet. 3:3-4).
I've always thought that the simple life was closer to what God desires for us. 

But this morning I read today's Jesus Calling entry:
"I am calling you to a life of constant communication with Me.  Basic training includes learning to live above your circumstances, even while interacting on that cluttered plane of life.  You yearn for a simplified lifestyle, so that your communication with Me can be uninterrupted.  But I challenge you to relinquish the fantasy of an uncluttered world.  Accept each day just as it comes, and find Me in the midst of it all."

Hmm...Isn't it just like God to speak directly into my circumstances with a completely different perspective?  This other perspective brings to mind One Thousand Gifts and counting it all as gift and grace.  Isn't that what eucharisteo is?  Taking everything we are given, even the frenzied moments, and offering them to God with thanksgiving?  Finding Him in the moment?  He transcends my cluttered thoughts and they are no barrier to keep Him from me.  If I can find Him in my most scattered place, where He longs to meet me, won't His peace bring quiet in the midst of all the fury? Maybe I don't need to be delivered from the storm but instead call God to join me and turn the storm into calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment